Bullnose pool copings are the most preferred style keeping the safety feature in mind. Pool copings usually jut out over the top of the side walls. This might prove risky if the edges of the tiles are straight. This is where Bullnose copings come in the picture. Here’s diving deep into these unique pool coping stones.
What is Bullnose pool coping?
In bullnose style, copings are ‘bull-nosed’ or rounded, which is great from the point of view of the swimmers’ safety. Chances of injuries are reduced dramatically with the rounded edges. Bullnose pool coping tiles and pavers offer a soft look to the pool and a safe surface to lean against.
All you need to do is seal the copings during installation. We advise you to look for special compound sealants that increase the friction of the surface.
Benefits of bullnose pool copings
Pool safety is a top concern for all households and commercial establishments. Though there are several measures to ease the uncertainties, bull nose pool copings are among the most effective ones. For the uninitiated, pool coping is a material used to cap the pool edge or shell wall. It conceals the steel projecting from the pool’s walls and prevents water from getting behind the pool shell.
Pool copings including bullnose are important because they provide an adequate grip to swimmers while getting inside and outside the pool. Along with the functional benefits, they are aesthetically pleasing and complete the look of the swimming pool.
Bullnose and drop edge coping styles
There are several options of pool copings to choose from. The most popular ones are drop edge and bullnose. Drop edge pool copings are solid pieces of stones where the drop edge is thicker than the rest of the stone. The other most popular option, bullnose pool coping, is a rounded edge on the stone. It is suitable for a traditional pool design and creates a heritage look.
Bullnose pool coping materials
Primarily, there are three pool coping materials considered worldwide which are used for bullnose copings as well. These are Concrete, Brick, and Natural Stones. Each of these materials has its unique features and benefits. However, copings in natural stones are the best. This is because they stand out with their beautiful colour tones and unique patterns which cannot be replicated by other materials. Natural stone copings last longer, are more durable and are aesthetically pleasing.
Natural stone bullnose copings
While there are thousands of natural bullnose pool coping stone options to choose from, the most popular ones are Limestone, Travertine, Granite, Sandstone, and Bluestone.
- Limestone bullnose pool coping is a popular pick nowadays. Their smooth textures and finish offer a serene look to the pools. Limestone pool copings remain cool even when exposed to direct sunlight. You can walk barefoot without worrying about the stones getting heated up. Bullnose copings in Limestone are perfect to create a classy pool that makes heads turn. Indiana White Limestone and Midnight Glow Limestone are our best-selling products in Limestone pool copings. Our bullnose pool coping pavers and tiles in Limestone comes in a standard size of 600 x 400 x 30 mm.
- Travertine bullnose pool copings are admired for their rich colour tones and natural shade variation. The silver, grey, beige and tan hues create a stunning setup. They offer elegance and warmth to the pool area. Additionally, Travertine pool copings are heat-resistant and prevent slipping hazards. Like every other natural stone, Travertine is porous and thus requires sealing during installation. We offer bullnose Travertine pool coping pavers in 610 x 406x 30 mm.
- Granite bullnose pool copings make a perfect choice for modern pool projects because of the stone’s durability. Granite is known for its long-lasting feature and low maintenance. Granite stone’s long life is the reason it has been in use since Roman times. It is sturdy, affordable, and adaptive to wet areas. Once sealed, Granite bullnose pool copings resist moisture and stay intact for a lifetime. Stone Depot offers Granite bullnose pool copings in 600 x 400 x 30 mm.
- Bluestone pool coping bullnose is another trendy stone for pool projects. Durable, dense, and slip-resistant, Bluestone enhances the look of the pools with its unmatched visual appeal. The low-maintenance stone is extremely durable, and its warm hues blend well with the pool water. Stone Depot offers bullnose bluestone pool coping in 600 x 400 x 30 mm.
- Sandstone bullnose pool copings get a preference for their natural slip-resistant surface. The stone’s neutral shade and distinctive sandy patterns create a warm earthy feel around the pool. Sandstone is known for its weather resistance and durability that can bear the test of time. Sandstone bullnose tiles for pool copings are easy to install and maintain Also, who wouldn’t love a cosy surrounding that elevates the appeal of the property? Sunrise Gold Sandstone pool copings with matching pavers evoke that authentic feel. We offer Sandstone bullnose pool copings in 600 x 400 x 30 mm.
Bullnose pool copings installation
- Installing Bullnose pool coping tiles or pavers is easy, provided you follow the correct method. The first step is to identify the corners or odd angles first. That’s where you would start the installation process.
- Install in these areas first and make sure the installation is asymmetrical. Do not start from a single corner and complete the rest of the area. This will only make the installed stones look shabby and leave gaps in between.
- Now lay the bullnose stones on the desired curve and use a straight edge to mark the bullnose. The mark would be parallel to the straight line next to it. Post this, continue marking and cutting to create the curve.
- For gradual curves, cutting one side of the bullnose pavers or tiles would be enough. However, for tighter curves, both sides of the bullnose must be cut. For inside corners, the cuts would be just opposite the outside corner.
The last word
You cannot deny the benefits that bullnose swimming pool copings bring along. Besides the safety features, they also offer a great finish to the pool design. Besides swimming pools, bullnose copings can also be used in stairs, entryways, outdoor kitchen counters, foot ledges, and more. Bullnose pool copings are easy to install and usually take one or two days to install, depending on the size of the project. Bullnose copings bring a smooth look to the applications, creating the desired vintage appearance.
*Disclaimer: All information and advice given above in the blog are to the best of our knowledge. Please reconfirm at your end before execution.