26 Jun 2023
Here’s How to Choose the Best Indoor Tiles for Your Living Room
Our living rooms are the perfect place to unwind and relax. People invest a lot of time, effort and money into designing and furnishing their living spaces and why not? A living room is one of the most used spaces apart from bedrooms.
It serves as the hub of the entire house, where families congregate on the weekends or in the evenings. A living room is where you gather with family and friends when you have guests or unwind with your loved ones after a busy and exhausting day at work. Hence, one must remember a few things while choosing indoor tiles for their living room, like the colour, size or texture. Many people prefer their living room to be sober and keep a low profile regarding their personal space, while others prefer it to be vivid and contrasting.
What are the benefits of tiles?
Varied tiles have different benefits, some of which are described below:
- Pet and child friendly: Tile floors are among the best flooring alternatives for households with pets and young children. With natural stone indoor tiles, there are no issues with cracks, stains or scratches. Your pet will find the indoor tile the ideal spot to sleep on a hot summer day due to its coolness. Tile flooring is a great substitute for hardwood in homes with young children.
- Durability: Tiles are the ideal flooring option due to their incredible durability. Additionally, it is scratch- and water-resistant. Many homes will find it refreshing that tile can withstand years of labour, play, and daily living, even though not every family needs the most resilient flooring.
- Low maintenance: Compared to other types of flooring, natural stone indoor tiles require less maintenance. It is best to seal tile and grout frequently in areas with heavy usage and wear and tear. Using this simple procedure, you can keep your lovely flooring clean for many years.
- Increase resale value: Experts claim that your home’s flooring will have the biggest impact on your return on investment when you sell it. You may expect a fantastic ROI when you invest on natural stone tile floors. Given all the advantages, natural stone indoor tiles are the best option as indoor tiles for the living room.
Which colour of natural stone indoor tiles should one choose for their living room?
Your personal style, the décor and the mood you wish to create will all play a role in selecting the ideal shade of natural stone indoor tiles for your living room. Consider the following things:
- Style and Ambiance: Think of a general look and feel you want your living area to have. Do you want a modern, sleek look or a warm, cosy setting? Different shades of natural stone indoor tiles can evoke various moods and architectural styles. For instance:
- Warm and Inviting: Opt for earthy tones such as beige, tan, or warm shades of brown. Like Teakwood Sandstone or Classic Blend Travertine.
- Modern and Sophisticated: Consider cool, neutral colours such as grey or white with subtle veining as your indoor tiles, like Indiana White Limestone or Silver Travertine.
- Dramatic and Luxurious: Darker shades such as black or deep brown can create a bold and luxurious ambience. Like, Midnight Glow Limestone.
- Existing Décor: Keep in mind the colour palette and furniture that are already in your living room. Select a natural stone colour that works well with your existing furniture and décor or contrasts or enhances it. When choosing, consider the wall paint, upholstery, drapes and other components.
- Lighting: The quantity and natural and artificial light in your living room should be considered. Light is a key factor when it comes to how colours are perceived. If your living room gets a lot of natural light, you might want to use more colours. Lighter-coloured stones, however, might assist in brightening rooms with little natural light, and darker tones of indoor tiles may accentuate the room’s intimacy.
- Practicality: Think about the use and upkeep needs of various stone colours. Darker stones can conceal flaws better than lighter ones, which may show stains and grime more readily. Additionally, certain colours need more frequent sealing or specialised cleaning methods to maintain their appearance.
What features should you keep in mind before buying indoor tiles?
You should consider a few characteristics when purchasing natural stone tiles for your living room to make sure you make the appropriate choice.
- Type of stone: Natural stone tiles come in various varieties, including Marble, Granite, Limestone, Travertine and Slate. Each type of natural stone has distinctive qualities in colour, design, durability and upkeep necessities. Think of the overall style of your living room before selecting a natural stone type.
- Finish: Natural stone tiles can be polished, honed, brushed, or tumbled, among other finishes. Honed finishes provide a matte appearance, whereas polished finishes offer a glossy surface. A rustic and rough appearance is produced by brushed or tumbled edge finishes.
- Slip Resistance: If your home has kids, older people or pets, considering the natural stone tiles’ resistance to slipping is a must. When wet, some stones with smoother surfaces may become dangerously slick. To increase safety, look for tiles with a rough or honed finish or think about applying non-slip coatings.
- Maintenance: Different kinds of natural stone need various amounts of upkeep. While some stones are more resistant to stains and permeable, others may be. Consider the long-term maintenance, cleaning techniques and sealing requirements associated with maintaining the tiles’ quality.
- Budget: The cost of natural stone indoor tiles can vary greatly depending on the type of stone, its quality and where it can be found. However, at Stone Depot, we offer premium quality indoor tiles at comparative prices.
Why selecting a matching grout for indoor tiles is important?
Once you have selected the type of natural stone you want to use as indoor tiles for your living room, you must choose matching grout. Here are a few reasons why:
- To get a seamless look: Creating a seamless and unified appearance is made easier by matching the grout colour to that of the selected indoor tiles. When they match, the grout lines’ visible intrusion is reduced, and the indoor tiles are given more visual appeal. When using large-format tiles with intricated patterns, where you want the focus to be on the design of the tile itself, this is especially desired.
- To enhance the design: The design and pattern of the indoor tiles can be improved by selecting a matching grout colour. It can enhance the tile’s pattern and shape, giving the final product a more unified and appealing appearance. For instance, coordinating grout colour can emphasise the individual pieces and make the design shine if you have tiles with a repeating pattern or mosaic design.
- To create a clean and even look: Matching grout results in a clean look. Without visually breaking up the flow of the tiles, the grout colour closely resembles the colour of the indoor tiles. It is crucial in areas where you want to keep a sleek, contemporary design.
- To cover up flaws: Choosing a grout colour that closely resembles the tiles will help cover up flaws or colour variations in the tiles. Natural variances in colour and design between tiles are possible, for instance, in natural stone tiles. The visibility of these variances can be reduced, and the overall appearance can be made more uniform by using grout the same colour as the indoor tile.
Final Takeaway Choosing the ideal tiles for your living room is an important choice that can greatly affect the area’s appearance and atmosphere. Consider design, upkeep and colour harmony with the existing decor. Whether you like Travertine or Sandstone natural stone tiles, take your time to consider your alternatives. Seek professional advice and choose indoor tiles that will improve the aesthetics and serve your practical demands.
*Disclaimer: All information and advice given above in the blog are to the best of our knowledge. Please reconfirm at your end before execution.