Cobblestones – What are they?
The term ‘cobblestones’ was derived from the English word ‘cob’ which meant rounded lump of large sizes. Centuries ago, roads were constructed with Cobblestones. Such pavements and driveways are still prominent in Europe and Western countries. Made of dense materials like Granite, Quartz, Bluestone and more, cobblestone paths last long and offer an excellent grip strength. They can create beautiful outdoor spaces with a timeless charm.
Cobblestones come fixed on a mesh or a grill which looks a big carpet. This mesh is also called a Cobblestone apron. This is an easy and a time saving way of installation as you don’t have to lay cobblestones one by one. Also, the stones installed on the mesh come with uniform, smooth surface. This takes care of your concern of smoothening all stones to avoid injuries or accidents.
Laying the mesh
- Begin by digging at least 6 inches deep base and lay about 4 inches of stone dust or gravel. Usually, stone dust is preferred since after getting wet, it hardens like concrete. Make sure the depth of the bed is a minimum of half an inch deeper than the height of the cobblestones.
- Add levelling sand on top of it. This must be levelled and compacted. Run the compacter over the sand till the surface is completely flat and even.
- Start laying the Cobblestone mesh from one side to the other in rows. Cut off a stone from the mesh at the edge to enable interlocking the next stone with it.
- Not all cobblestones would fit on the edges or sides. For this, make a mark on the cobble and use a chisel to fit on the mark. Angle the chisel and hit it with a sledge or hammer to cut the stone.
- The next step is to wet the Cobblestone with a garden hose. Post this, run the leveler over the cobble carpet to set it in the levelling sand.
- The last phase, grout the entire path and spread into the joints evenly. However, before its dries, sweep off excess grout with a push broom.
- Now let the path dry out for 24 hours. Wait for at least 72 hours before driving on it. And the Cobblestone path is ready.
Cobblestone pathways are easy to create in case you use a mesh. Check out our range of Cobblestones in a variety of colors and textures, suitable for every project. You can try a free sample before buying. Reach out to us on 1300 830 274 or drop us a line at [email protected] and our team would be glad to help you.
*Disclaimer: All information and advice given above in the blog are to the best of our knowledge. Please reconfirm at your end before execution.